SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#432647 - 06/05/17 05:24 PM Had an "odd" request last night ...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I have a vertical Sunday night at a restaurant that features music 7 nights a week, (Yup they still DO exist!), and last night after a few regular patrons sang with me, a non singer friend asked "can that machine do a Hammond organ sound?"
Well, years ago, I'd be a bit insulted that someone wanted to hear the machine instead of the performer, but I've mellowed with age. I was also tempted to say that a Hammond was capable of about a MILLION sounds, but I held my tongue, cuz I knew what he wanted.
I did an organ feature medley of "Then You Can Tell Me Goodby, Because, & Whiter Shade Of Pale" ... easiest $10 I ever made. He was so happy. smile

#432661 - 06/07/17 06:05 AM Re: Had an "odd" request last night ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

#432667 - 06/07/17 05:37 PM Re: Had an "odd" request last night ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Dave next time around consider that request an opportunity and knock dead with what a keyboard can do.

I played for a group of 65 seniors that were all sitting. It was strange -- there was no room for dancing. Then it came to me, I was hired to put on a show -- which they neglected to tell me.

I began by explaining each part of my keyboard and how I used them. It was as if I was Frankie V. selling a Pa4x.They enjoyed it.
I finished by playing what I thought they wanted.

I was asked to come back, John C.

#432672 - 06/07/17 06:11 PM Re: Had an "odd" request last night ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I just find it amusing that people recognize the capabilities of the machine OUTSIDE of the operator! It's actually kind of funny, when you think of it.

#432677 - 06/07/17 07:02 PM Re: Had an "odd" request last night ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have a routine where I "introduce" my band. I generally do it with "Mama Don't Allow No Music Played Around Here."
I start off with just a simple bass drum beat, and tell them every band needs a drummer. Then I'll say something like "nobody wants to hear just a drummer", so I'll say "here's my bass player", I'll use manual bass to play a short solo, then flip it to auto bass.
Next comes maybe the "piano player" and I'll play a short solo on Piano. Then I tell that the Guitar is my favorite instrument and play a ride on that. Meanwhile, I'm changing style variations and pads that subtly add the parts to the style. Sometimes I tell them, "oh I forgot the Sax Man, you know he's the one that gets all the women!" Then go into a quick verse of Yackety Sax. If they are into it, I'll do the Organ, maybe Harmonica, and Musette.
The verses to the song can be altered to fit whatever instrument I'm soloing at the time. It usually goes over really well. If they are paying attention, I'll end it quicker.
I'm sure to make faces and do slides that show how hard I'm working to play the instruments.
When it's over I tell them that's why they hire me--if they had to pay all those musicians, drinks would be $100. each! If I think I can get by with it, I might say, "Please leave generous tips for the band; I have to divide it about 10 ways! Of course the tips are optional, but if you don't applaud I'll introduce the Horn section and Oboist."
It's all just BS, but it works. smile

#432678 - 06/07/17 07:53 PM Re: Had an "odd" request last night ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
I just find it amusing that people recognize the capabilities of the machine OUTSIDE of the operator! It's actually kind of funny, when you think of it.

The sad truth today is that operator/dj is one in the same in their minds vs musician/singer,etc,.....and who can blame them? And why should they know any different?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online